Saturday, April 2, 2011

Sports Writing in the New Media World

Upon completing my degree in New Media Journalism from Full Sail University I hope to combine my passions for people, sports, and humor in a career in the sports media field. This could mean working for a media outlet, such as a newspaper or television station, or working directly with the public relations department of either a professional or collegiate team. I believe either would provide me the opportunity to grow as a journalist, storyteller, and community builder, as well as making going to work everyday a blast!

So why sports?

Though my life I've worked in a variety of different fields. Schools, churches, door-to-door replacement window sales - which I do NOT advise unless you enjoy being cursed at by elderly women - all of which have had one common thread, connecting with people. And though I've tried other vehicles for achieving this, sports and humor have always been my go-to moves. Writing, broadcasting, and just talking about sports has allowed me to connect with people of all ages, backgrounds, and interest levels with an equal level of success.

Regarding the hiring process, Justin Jarrett of The Island Packet once told me the most important thing was to have quality clips of my work. Despite having a first name for a last name, I believe him. Showing, not only that I am capable of producing quality work, but that I speak with an unique voice in doing so, will be critical in gaining a potential employers attention.

Because of this I believe first step to the hiring process is to provide a quality sample or portfolio of work. I began this process over a year ago with my work at SportsPageNetwork.com.

The next step is what I like to refer to as the job-seeking stage. This will likely include searching websites and online job forums, such as JournalismJobs.com, as well as networking with any and all professional in the field. I will most likely conjure up some of my old door-to-door abilities for this large-scale door knocking process.

Once a potential employer does decide to answer the door and take a look my product, hopefully an interview will result. During this I plan to explain my passions and goals, as well as the benefits I can provide them with. I believe it is important to show employers you have a vision for not only yourself, but how you can impact them.

A crucial part of this vision will be how I plan to utilize digital media and social networking in a way that will benefit them.

For this I can not emphasis enough how important a Twitter account can be. Your typical newspaper writer produces one, maybe two, articles per day. That's a really narrow window for connecting with his or her audience and generally it's one-way. Twitter can provide an almost unlimited amount of connections, as well as instant feedback. This connection allows the writer to become real to the audience. No longer is this just a sports writer, this is a person who has a dog, who loves Colby cheese, or who had a seventh grade crush on Kelly Kapowski. As this relationship grows, the writers' readership grows, and a community is formed.


There may not be a better Twitter follow than ESPN columnist Bill Simmons. Over 1,368,000 followers can't be wrong!

And yes that is back-to-back Saved by the Bell references, don't judge.

Another way sports writers can use digital media is through blogging. Short, informal pieces produced on a frequent and regular basis can also help cultivate the writer-reader relationship, while also providing the reader with a sense of ownership and pride over the relationship. Suddenly the local columnist becomes "my columnist" who writes for "my paper" because the reader feels they are actively engaged in some level of creation. The to making this happen though is the writers' willingness to constantly engage with the readings and acknowledge them from time to time in his or her other works.

Aaron McFarling's blog at The Roanoke Times is a prime example of this. His Daily Briefing provides his readers with quick glance of the news in the sports world, plenty of links, and a format on which to comment. He also, on occasion, hosts live chats with his readers via his blog during sporting events. Both of these activities are effective because Aaron is actively engaged on a regular basis, responding to comments, asking direct questions to his readers, and simply making them feel valued in general.

I also believe a strong sports writer should be knowledgeable of the process of capturing and sharing video online. Since the majority of time the topics being discussed surround events, there is great strength in being able to show readers the event or at the very least guide them in the appropriate direction for finding it on their own. Also, if a writer is capable of producing and editing videos, the opportunities for enhancing his or her text will grow tremendously, as well as the opportunities for the continued growth of his or her community of readers because of the level of intimacy video provides. Let's face it, even if it's thirty seconds of footage around the newsroom, someone will watch it and because of it feel a connection to the writer.

ESPN's Sportsnation does a great job of incorporating simple videos into their programs.

Granted this video isn't going to win any awards, well aside from the ones SportsNation gives itself, but its simplistic nature achieves a level of intimacy which makes the viewer feel as if he or she is in an elite club. It grows the writer/broadcaster-reader/viewer relationship, giving the latter a reason to return for future viewing or reading.

These are of course just scratch the surface of the way digital media can and should be used to enhance the world of sports writing and broadcasting, but are three of the most crucial areas. I believe the most successful journalism are those who build solid relationships with their readers and make those readers feel valued. Digital media can play a huge role in accomplishing both of those goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment